From a KC Librarian

Just an average guy trying to make sense of his life in the library and beyond.....

Friday, June 13, 2008

Thoughts and Prayers for a family member in Carolina

Sometimes it's difficult to decide what to include/ not include in a blog post. But I wanted to write about my Aunt in Carolina. I was sadden to hear this week that her health has declined dramatically. In matters of privacy I shouldn't go further into detail....

But, I wanted to write about two memorable experiences with her from my life.

First, I'll always remember going to Washington D.C. and Baltimore, MD with her, my sister, and my Uncle D in 1977. Not only did we share the oohs and ahs of walking The Mall, seeing the Smithsonian Air and Space museum, riding the DC subway, watching a helicopter take off from the White House, and visiting the historic ship Constitution in Baltimore Harbor, we also shared our reactions to a little old movie called "Star Wars."

Second, we both attended a family reunion in August 1992 at Sol Duc Hot Springs at the Olympic Peninsula in Washington State. After the reunion, arrangements were made where I would drive her to the Seattle airport. On the drive, we discussed my mom, who had passed away a year and a half earlier, and my Uncle D, who had passed eight years earlier. My Aunt expressed her admiration for my mom as she coped to run a single parent household and she also opened up about the details concerning Uncle D's battle with cancer and his eventual death.
This was a somber, thought-provoking, yet heart-warming conversation.

Please remember the KC Librarian's Aunt and her immediate family in your thoughts and prayers this week. Thanks.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home