From a KC Librarian

Just an average guy trying to make sense of his life in the library and beyond.....

Thursday, July 19, 2007

Growing Pains with Access Management

I think I was the last library staff member to experience this, but I now have officially seen the quirk that occurs with our access management software, a full computer lab, and the transition of a YA or JUV library card number from the "Waiting" list to the "Reservation" list. I know this probably doesn't make sense for the library outsider. However, our public kiosk has trouble moving the young adult or juvenile library card from the waiting list to the reservation list whenever a computer opens up in the lab.
I'm thinking the problem lies with coding in the software itself that discriminates on these specific cards. To help with this problem, I've created a form for staff to fill out to document all occurrences when a library specifically doesn't work.
On the whole, the reservation system works swimmingly. However, with the kid cards this snag occurs. I am NOT looking forward to when school starts up and we get the rugs rats using the lab.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home