From a KC Librarian

Just an average guy trying to make sense of his life in the library and beyond.....

Thursday, June 21, 2007

Random Thoughts

  1. Many months ago, I blogged about an NPR story about Howard Dully, the 50-something bus driver who embarked on a personal investigation to his transorbital or "ice pick" lobotomy when he was a twelve year old. If you allow me to perform a little reader's advisory, there's now a book out about his experience: My Lobotomy.
  2. An Idiot and his Motorcycle: While out walking tonight, I came across a group of young twenty-somethings riding their road motorcycles. One guy thought it was cute to pop front wheelies and back wheelies while coming to a stop at the intersection or Barry Road and Platte Purchase Drive. I can imagine the reaction of the drivers around him as he was pulling these stunts. Sure, it was probably an adrenaline rush for him and, sure, I would have probably done the same thing given I was in my twenties and had a motorcycle. But my long memory reminds me of incidents in the '80s and '90s where guys were not so lucky. Maybe this guy just wants to break his bones so he'll have stories to tell his grandchildren. For example: "I broke my arm way back in ought-seven trying to impress this young lady." or "I broke my leg dragging against my best friend." One final thing: he does these stunts within a half mile of a North KC police station so it wouldn't surprise me if he has already been busted by a traffic officer.
  3. The meeting on the PC Access Management software went well. We received a demo from CPU services on how the software operates. We then proceeded to iron out some operational issues. The software will be installed in the lab on Monday, June 25 which also happens to be when my vacation starts.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home