From a KC Librarian

Just an average guy trying to make sense of his life in the library and beyond.....

Saturday, February 18, 2006

The Ever changing TV Station in Topeka

One of the reasons I decided to get out of broadcast journalism early was the uncertainty of the small market job situations. And the television station where I started was no different.
While finishing my senior year in college, I had a weekend job at a Topeka station as a news photographer (I guess today's term is photojournalist). I enjoyed the video production, writing the story, and the occasional participation in the interview of a famous local politician or a national politician which included Presidential candidates Al Gore and Michael Dukakis.
But in summary judgment, I would say my introduction to broadcast journalism was bitter sweet. You see, the television station was a fledgling station with budgetary problems and a recently rebuilt television tower replacing the tower that was toppled in the 1984 Topeka ice storm. As such, the station had a revolving door policy for some parttime employees and I was caught in that tornado. I lost my job and became very disillusioned with the field.
In 2002, a college buddy and I went to see the Red Sox double-header slaughter of the Royals. He works as a reporter for Topeka Capital Journal. He informed me that the station where I worked so long ago axed their news department because of budget problems plus the fact they finished last in the local television news ratings. I was happy when he told me. Hell, I was euphoric. This only confirmed to me that this television station was a poor start, a poor facilitator for someone dreaming to be in broadcast journalism. In celebration of this news, I bought my friend dinner.
Now, I read that today some TV businessmen are trying to rejuvenate the news department. My response: ho-hum. I don't care. The broadcast journalism I studied in the '80s is not the same as what is practiced professionally today. I am glad I stepped away and tried other options.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home