From a KC Librarian

Just an average guy trying to make sense of his life in the library and beyond.....

Friday, February 15, 2008

Global Warming affects places I have visited

I'm following two separate weather stories this week primarily because I have been to these locales that are experiencing it:

First, I was shocked to see pictures of Lake Mead by Hoover Dam this week. I was further surprised when scientists declared that the lake is in danger of drying up in the next 9-10 years. One explanation I have heard is drought conditions have kept the flow of the Colorado River low and, as a result, the lake is draining faster than the Colorado can fill it. These events are of concern to me, especially considering my 1983 adventure through the Grand Canyon (Jan 15 posting).

At the age of 15, I had the opportunity to go to Leadville, CO with a church youth group. We were on a missionary tour to help a church paint its fellowship area. Now there's news that the town may be swamped by waters contained in abandoned mines that reside in the mountain above the town. Apparently, the mountains around Leadville have received enourmous amounts of snow and rain. The melt-off is gathering in the tunnels of the mines. To complicate things the water may be contaminated by metals from the mine. This makes for a dangerous health situation for Leadville should the water find its way to the town.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home