From a KC Librarian

Just an average guy trying to make sense of his life in the library and beyond.....

Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Doing the challenging commute--to and from work

Through no fault of my own---er, well okay, I could have been more responsible and cautious. My drive into work and my drive home from work presented some interesting challenges.

On Tuesday morning, I had an eye doctor appointment with a full examination. A full examination with my opthamologist includes the dilation of my pupils. Since the appointment butted close to the time I depart for work on Tuesday, I had to make a decision as to whether I should take half a sick day or go ahead and drive in. I decided to drive in because it was cloudy and overcast. If it were sunny yesterday, I would probably have called in sick until my pupils undilated.

A snow storm hit KC on Tuesday night and driving home was tense. The storm came right as we closed the library--a sleet, snow combination. After taking the obligatory ten minutes to warm up the car and scrape the windows, I took off for home. The drive in Wyandotte County was okay. But once I crossed the Missouri River bridge on 435, the road started to become snowpacked and I started losing site of the road markings. To make me more nervous, a car was tailing me all the way home. Who did he think I was, a trailblazer?

Anyway, schools are closed today and our library's open is delayed today by 2 hours. Areas in North KC are expected to get 10 inches total from this storm. Meanwhile, places in south KC are only getting a dusting of one to two inches.

I hope this is the last snow this season. I still need to get out and take care of the tree branches in my yard, the damage from the early December ice storm.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home