From a KC Librarian

Just an average guy trying to make sense of his life in the library and beyond.....

Thursday, March 06, 2008

Grand Canyon Flood 1983

Through the miracle of Youtube, I can now deliver images of the Grand Canyon flood of 1983. I want to express my amazement to the creator of this video. Notice that the images are on film, not video and remember that back in the '80s we didn't have the proliferation of digital cameras that we do now. So, to convert the film into a digital format and to post it to Youtube is simply marvelous.
This video is nearly ten minutes in length. My favorite part is where they show Lava Falls at 45,000 cfs and then show the Falls at 100,000 cfs. Quite a stark contrast.
Another thing I should say: this video shows people rowing through the rapids. During my trip, our baloney boats were equipped with outboard motors. Still, the mighty Colorado tossed us around. Enjoy!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home