From a KC Librarian

Just an average guy trying to make sense of his life in the library and beyond.....

Saturday, June 17, 2006

Little Theatre on the Prairie

I went to see the Robert Altman movie A Prairie Home Companion Saturday afternoon. What's the movie about? Well, the theatre where the show airs is being overtaken by corporate folk who want to turn it into a parking lot. The movie focuses on the fact that Garrison Keillor is oblivious to the fact that this may be the last show, whereas the performers on his show feel more sentimental.
To appreciate this movie, you have to know that Keillor uses a wide range of humor on his actual show ranging from cornball jokes to stories that end with what some people would consider a bad punchline. Anyway, I latched into this movie because I could identify with this humor.
The only thing that disappoints me from this movie is the fact that we don't get a taste of Keillor's "News from Lake Wobegon." As a matter of fact, there's not much use of the word "Wobegon," which makes me wonder if the name "Wobegon" was legally protected and could not be used.
Anyway, my favorite moment from the movie was John C. Reilly and Woody Harrelson's musical performance of "Bad Jokes"--I was in tears laughing as they performs this.
Highly recommended, especially if you are familiar with the Keillor sense of humor.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home