From a KC Librarian

Just an average guy trying to make sense of his life in the library and beyond.....

Tuesday, July 12, 2005

Family Reunion Trip summary--part four

Wednesday, July 6
When I last visited Virginia three years ago, MN and family took me to Harper’s Ferry, VA. This time I told MN that I wanted to go to D.C. It had been 28 years since I last visited Washington. This statement combined with the fact that MN had purchased tickets to the Washington Nationals-New York Mets game meant we were going to spend the entire day in the city.
After MN took the boys to daycare, he came back to the house to pick me up. We then drove to the Metro subway station near Vienna, VA. I rode the subway back in 1977 when it was in its infancy. It was simple, one line from one end of D.C. to another. Now there are four lines with multiple places to transfer. We each purchased an all day pass, hopped on the train, and our day began.
After about forty minutes of riding, we arrived at the station where MN gets off for work, the Federal Triangle. We got off and promptly started walking. MN had me pose for a picture with the capital building in the distant background. We then went to a place that had information about the White House. After spending forty minutes there, we walked over to the White House for picture taking opportunities. It was interesting to note that the streets around the White House have been reduced to foot traffic. I think this was implemented during the Clinton era.
We grabbed an early lunch from a buffet restaurant in the Federal Triangle area. Afterwards, we took the Metro to get over to the Smithsonian Air and Space Museum. The Mall still was cleaning up from Washington’s Fourth of July celebration because there were still tents strewn all over the area. We dedicated an hour to exploring the museum. Yes, I realize that I should have dedicated more time but there were other sites to see.
Our next stop was the Library of Congress. And I must admit that the LOC is one of the most beautiful buildings I have encountered. After passing through the security, we took a tour of the building including a look into the LOC’s gigantic reading and research room. Every nook and cranny of the inside had something to offer—statues, mosaic artwork, stained-glass ceilings. After the obligatory stop at the gift shop, we next went to the Supreme Court building. The Supreme Court building was a vanilla ice cream cone compared to the 31 flavors we got from the Library of Congress. We didn’t spend much time there but we did manage a glimpse into the main courtroom before we moved along.
We did a quick walk through Union Station before going to a bar next to a Metro Station. We had been on our feet all day in the heat and humidity and, quite honestly, conversation over a cold beer was a welcomed break. MN and I took this opportunity to get caught up on friends from our KU days as well as the KC friends.
After the visit to the bar, we got on to the Metro, made the proper transfers, and arrived at RFK stadium for the baseball game. Washingtonians are happy to have major league baseball in town after a long, long absence and nearly 40,000 fans showed their appreciation that Wednesday night. I feel very fortunate that MN was able to get tickets. The Nationals lost to the Mets but the experience was worth it. This was the fourth different ballpark I have attended to see a major league game. We took the Metro back to our starting point in Vienna. A day well spent.

Thursday, July 7
I got up very early Thursday morning to say my goodbyes to MN, his wife, and two sons. I scheduled breakfast with CG, a friend from library school, in Leesburg, VA. Afterwards, I would begin my drive home.
CG arrived on time at the IHOP. She brought me up to date on her library work as well as the fact that she will be going to Ireland with her cloggers group. By the way she describes her library situation, it sounds like CG is going through some beneficial, encouraging phases with her work; but also there may be some challenges, too, especially with the coming of a second MLS librarian. I have the utmost confidence that CG will make the proper adjustments. After breakfast, CG gave me a tour of her library facility. The visit with her was way too short.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home