From a KC Librarian

Just an average guy trying to make sense of his life in the library and beyond.....

Tuesday, February 08, 2005

1999 Mazda Protege---RIP

We had a snow storm today. As a result, the library closed down at 6:30 tonight. I was sent home at 4:30.

Unfortunately, I had an accident with my green Protege. I left work without incident but I got to 99th and Parallel and noticed cars spun out at the top of the hill. I made the decision to turn right on 99th and take the Leavenworth Road entrance onto I-435. About a mile later, my car began to slide right on the ice. I hit the brakes and the car continued to slide. My car hit right curb near the sewer.

Instantaneously, I made the decision to continue driving home. I based this decision knowing that the KC police were probably busy handling all sorts of traffic accidents and I would be stuck in the cold and dark waiting for them. After the accident, I noticed that my steering was wobbly and the front right wheel was rubbing against the wheel well. Not good.

I managed to get onto 435 and took it about ten miles an hour. My arms were tense as I tried to make sure the car would go straight. I managed to cross the Missouri River without further incident and decided to pull the car over to rest my arms. During the break, I phoned C on the cell to let her know what had happened and to let her know that I was going to attempt to drive to my house.

I continued to drive and eventually made my house forty five minutes later. There were a lot of vehicles in the median or off the road. I consider getting home safely nothing short of a miracle. The front frame of the car is broken and thus the car is totaled. I will be looking for a new car immediately. I was uninjured.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home