From a KC Librarian

Just an average guy trying to make sense of his life in the library and beyond.....

Monday, April 27, 2009

Colorado Day 4: Exploring Denver

I started the day by rendezvousing with my SLIM colleague. After a pancake breakfast at Perkins on Colfax Avenue, we went eastward on the avenue in search of the Natural History and Science Museum. All we knew was the museum was on Colorado Boulevard. So when we got there, we turned right......and got lost for 90 minutes. We swallowed our pride and decided to ask for directions. I went into a Denver Starbucks and she went into a gas station. We both returned to the car laughing: we both realized we had made the wrong turn off of Colfax and were driving away from the museum. We arrived at the museum about 15 minutes later.

I was interested in going because I saw through the web page that the IMAX theatre was showing a feature about the Grand Canyon and the diminishing water levels at both Lake Mead and Lake Powell. The documentary was narrated by Robert Redford and was quite interesting.

After lunch, we drove to the Brass Armadillo antique store in Wheat Ridge and explored it for the next two hours. My friend was grateful for the opportunity to go "antiquing" and was happy to see things she liked such as sewing tables and old couches. And I tried to educate her about the Royal Doulton toby mugs--which were authentic and which were knock-offs. There were a couple of mugs I wanted to buy but my trip budget kind of put the kibosh on buying anything of great expense.

We capped off Saturday by grabbing Clint Eastwood's movie "Gran Torino." We both enjoyed the movie and thought Eastwood's acting solidified him as the best tough-guy actor ever. I took her back to her home and we said our good-byes being that I had to takeoff for KC the next day. Unbeknown st to me at the time, she left her umbrella in my car. I didn't notice the umbrella until I reached Limon to fuel the car.

Oh well, looks like another trip to Denver is coming to deliver the umbrella. And my delivery service doesn't stop there. In a few days, I will actually be driving back to Colorado to pass my Grandmother's wedding china to my young cousin.

I should add that the drive back to KC was rather adventurous. Along I-70, I had to negotiate thunderstorms between Hays and Shawnee county, Kansas and then the race traffic from the NASCAR speedway. But I'm happy to report that I made it home safe and sound.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home