From a KC Librarian

Just an average guy trying to make sense of his life in the library and beyond.....

Friday, April 24, 2009

Colorado Day 3: The Cog Railway and the Cheyenne Mountain Zoo

This is the second time I rode the cograil. I last rode it in 2005 just before my dad's memorial service. Unfortunately, the trip this time around was curtailed by snow storms atop Pike's Peak earlier in the week. We didn't make it to the top. Instead, we reached an elevation of about 13,000 feet where we encountered workers operating a snow blower jettisoning the snow away. The conductor said they should get the track entirely cleared by tomorrow.






In the afternoon, I went to the Cheyenne Mountain Zoo in Colorado Springs. It's a quaint little zoo. The highlight of the zoo is the giraffe and meercats exhibits which one encounters as soon as you enter. Patrons can feed the giraffes specially made crackers which the giraffes gobble down easily with their long prehensile tongues. The meercats were also a treat. Both exhibits can be seen from the zoo's web cams.










Afterwards, I drove to my Denver hotel, contending with the rush hour traffic.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home