From a KC Librarian

Just an average guy trying to make sense of his life in the library and beyond.....

Sunday, January 04, 2009

An operetta that may make Gilbert & Sullivan envious

This weekend I'm watching a DVD that my uncle sent me for Christmas. No it's not a popular movie or even a musical. Well....
It is a musical but not one designed for Broadway. Well, er, maybe a Broadway producer may get wind of it and pay high dollar for the script and music.
It's an operetta (done in the same styling of a Gilbert & Sullivan show) called "Leave It All to Me." And the reason why it has such appeal to me is PL, a family member from Oklahoma, and a close colleague of his wrote this operetta back in the 1940's. My uncle decided to put on this operetta in November 2008 as part of a church fundraising activity in Richland, WA. Members of his church comprise the cast of this show. My uncle had the forethought to tape this show on his camcorder and he burned a copy of the show and sent it to me as part of a Christmas gift.

Judging by the applause at the end, it looks like the show was well-received. After the show, my uncle introduced PL (who is approaching his ninetieth birthday) to the audience.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home