From a KC Librarian

Just an average guy trying to make sense of his life in the library and beyond.....

Sunday, November 23, 2008

Random Notes

  1. I was sadden to hear of the closing of a Pontiac, IL prison this year. This was the last place of employment for my dad before he opted for early retirement many years ago. The closing of the prison, needless to say, is very contreversial, sparking arguments among Union workers, the mayor of Pontiac and the Illinois Department of Corrections.
  2. Public libraries are not even immune to the ripple effects of our economic crisis. I have read in many library blog and journals of public library systems across the nation having to cut back on budgets and even lay off library workers. My library system has taken steps in response to economic concerns. And since we receive funding through the school district, who knows what else might happen especially if the State of Kansas considers budgetary cutbacks for schools across the state.
  3. I will be headed over to Lawrence for a quiet Thanksgiving with my sister's family. Quiet? Wait a minute! My niece and nephew are two energetic kids. Thanksgiving in their house is anyting but quiet.
  4. I met M and P's new neighbors during pizza Friday night. Their old neighbors moved to Omaha because of a requirement in accepting a job promotion. The new neighbors are a husband and wife with two teenage kids and have returned to the Kansas City area after living in Ohio for awhile.
  5. I'm glad to have my treadmill back in full operating capacity.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home