From a KC Librarian

Just an average guy trying to make sense of his life in the library and beyond.....

Saturday, October 11, 2008

Friday in Vermont

Because my cousin's family was still operating on their own individual schedules yesterday, I decided to do a driving tour of Southern Vermont and return to my cousin's house through New Hampshire (just so I can say I was in New Hampshire).
I started the day going to Brattleboro, VT which was a short thirty minute drive. Brattleboro is a small town with a downtown, touristy area that overlooks the Connecticut River. After figuring out how to park in the downtown area and getting quarters so that I could park, I browsed the shops in the area. My cousin's wife recommended a bakery for breakfast and after I found it, I had chocolate cake for breakfast.
After taking the three or four obligatory pictures of the area, I began driving toward Bennington, VT. To my pleasure and surprise, I discovered Route 9 to be a very beautiful scenic drive. The fall colors did not disappoint. When I reached the pass at Hogback Mountain, I saw cars upon cars parked next to the gift shop, tourists taking pictures of the fall colors in the valley. I did manage to find a parking spot and took five minutes myself to snap some shots.
I got back to my and proceeded to Bennington. I must admit that the driving along this road was a lot like driving the mountain roads in Colorado, complete with runaway truck ramps for the downhill driving experience.
I arrived at Bennington at midday. The day turned out to be gorgeous and I had to shed my sweatshirt before I walked the downtown area. I had lunch at a place called Alldays and Onions. What did I have-a Reuben sandwich and two glasses of chocolate milk. After lunch I browsed a couple of the local book stores, bought souvenirs, and then began the drive eastward toward Keene, NH. I made another stop at Hogback Mountain, took a couple more pics, and roamed through the gift store. I made Keene, NH in the late afternoon. The fall colors here were not as brilliant but still scenic driving nonetheless. I took a back highway to get back to my cousin's house.
Last night, while his wife took the kids to a Friday night play date with friends, my cousin and I went to dinner at a new restaurant in Gill, MA and then went to a local pub to watch Game One of the Red Sox-Rays. Needless to say, the pub will filled with fervent Red Sox fans.
Today, my cousin, his son and I head to the Basketball Hall of Fame in Springfield, Mass.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home