From a KC Librarian

Just an average guy trying to make sense of his life in the library and beyond.....

Saturday, April 28, 2007

Random Notes at the end of April

  1. Because of the late cold weather this spring, I have been noticing that some of the things that normally bloom in my yard have yet to bloom. In particular, the bushes to the east of my house have yet to sprout their leaves, a fact I attribute to frost bite. Also, all trees in the neighborhood seem sparse in their leaf growth compared to other years.
  2. I was mildly surprised today to find out that my lawnmower is still under warranty. The gas line is leaking and the front-wheel drive mechanism is not operating properly. I was told that the mower will be fixed by May 7th. Hopefully, my lawn's growth won't get out of control.
  3. I am seeing a variety of critters as I continue my walking regiment. In particular, I spotted a ground hog chowing down on a dandelion and yesterday I saw a wild turkey sprinting across the field next to the Mason's building.
  4. An unfortunate thing I see while on my walks is the continuation of the commercial sprawl that's happening in the Northland. In particular, next to Barry School some bulldozers decimated a grove of trees next to 152 Highway. I can only guess that a grocery story or strip mall is going in that area. I base this guess on the fact that a humongous apartment complex is being built along Platte Purchase Drive, which is less than a quarter of a mile away. Well, so much for the isolation I've enjoyed. Here comes the increased traffic.
  5. I thought the Chiefs had an outside chance of landing Brady Quinn today in the NFL draft. But once Dallas swapped picks with Cleveland, I realized the Chiefs will probably address other positional issues. But wide receiver as the first pick? I think they should have addressed the offensive line.
  6. Finally, methinks the people who maintain our streets in Platte County are slacking. For example, on my walks I have encountered numerous instances of critter kill and road kill....and nobody cleans or picks it up. Along Barry Road, I've been observing the daily erosion of a dead raccoon for about three weeks. Ew!!! In another example, on Marston Street there's a "Stop Ahead" sign that leads to the traffic signal on Barry Road. And I won't ever talk about the traffic problems along Barry Road and I-29.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home