From a KC Librarian

Just an average guy trying to make sense of his life in the library and beyond.....

Thursday, April 27, 2006

Random notes

  • The hunt for a new computer lab associate has become an arduous task. And to make matters more challenging, The Legends Shopping area recently announced 400 job openings. As I mentioned to work colleagues, I'm sure the hourly wage there will be better than what we can offer for the lab associate's position. We are in the middle of interviewing three candidates currently.
  • I am enjoying my new red lawn mower. In another yard maintenance issue, I recently started an account with a local composting company. It has been really windy this spring and, thus, a lot of debris (sticks, small branches, leaves, acorns and nuts rejected by the squirrels) has been blown into my yard. I recently raked the entire yard and produced 12-14 bags of yard waste. So, I'm grateful that I set up this account. City ordinance or perhaps Missouri law forbids the hauling away of yard waste by trash companies. Right now my yard waste sits in yellow waste bags in the garage. It will probably take four weeks to get rid of the whole lot.
  • Right now I get the feeling that the moles are laughing at me. While working in the yard the past four or five days, I have found more evidence of tunneling, especially along the fence that separates me and my neighbor. I may try a mixture of water and dish soap on my lawn. This apparently kills grubs and moles only eat live grubs which means they have to go elsewhere to feed. I think the suggestion of sticking sticks of gum still in the foil wrappers down the mole holes is too cruel. It makes the moles' intestines explode killing them instantly. .
  • Weekend plans include attending Roller Derby Saturday night and attending the Royals-Oakland game on Sunday with C&A. I don't know which experience will be more painful: watching two Roller Derby teams wailing on each other OR watching the Royals play baseball. Hmmm......close call.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home