From a KC Librarian

Just an average guy trying to make sense of his life in the library and beyond.....

Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Technology at work

I'm getting on my soap box now:

Word from MP3 (I don't know if his father or grandfather had MP as their initials, but that's my nickname for him) and the other lab associates is that more patrons are using flashsticks in the lab. Furthermore, some patrons are bringing in CDs with their personal information stored on them. I asked computer services why our CD drives are locked down and to be quite honest, the answer did NOT prove to be satisfactory...and I know when I relay this answer to patrons, they will not be satisfied.
Recently, JG and I received the blessing to start the BookFix blog. And so far, it has roared off to what I deem a spectacular beginning although the initial suggestion of blogging was met with some trepidation from the "powers" Mainly. One of the general, most-pure lessons I took with me from library school is, as librarians, we need to utilize all tools to promote the library as a valuable cultural center and as a viable source for information, entertainment, and reading. And by "all tools" we need to, at least, consider all technologies that come down the pike. This includes the emerging social Internet technologies like blogging, RSS feeds, podcasting, photoshare sights like Flickr, Wikipedia.....and much more.
I am proud of the job my work colleagues have shown in relationship to BookFix. It proves that even though they know what brought them here, they are willing to change, to embrace the technology potentials that are out there. Several of us have been walking around with flashsticks draping down from our necks while some of us have been wearing iPods or MP3 players during our off-desk time. I read in one of my blogs that a public library in Ohio has incorporated podcasting on their web site. Call me a dreamer but I wouldn't mind adding Podcasting to our web site.
But for all these exciting things that are happening in technology, we have a department that is stuck in neutral and is in danger of not being able to snap out of it. Plans have the department moving elsewhere and the department is bogged down with projects. Now I realize how our organization is structured but I'm disappointed that we have to share our department for "500" reasons. We are lagging behind other pub systems.
Once again, call me a dreamer, but I like the technologies I see and I am proud of the fact that I have attempted to share these ideas with colleagues. But if we are to advance in our craft, everyone has to be involved.

I'll get off my soapbox now and return to learning more about the "Ultraviolence."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home