From a KC Librarian

Just an average guy trying to make sense of his life in the library and beyond.....

Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Halloween 2005

Yesterday, WW staffers celebrated Halloween in grand style. Several librarians went full bore and donned full costumes. JG came as Clark Kent, LC came as a Praying Mantis, and JS came as the demonic librarian with full face paint and stylish contact lenses. Lacking the time to develop my costume, I came as a King wearing the same crown that I wore two years ago--not as creative as the Praying Mantis or demonic librarian.
At Midday, we hosted an appreciation potluck dinner for our slough of volunteers. Staff members each brought something. I bought three pounds of Ambrosia salad. I was thinking this was probably way too much; but, little did I know that the Ambrosia would be used later on.
After work, I called MS on the phone to see if he and PS were doing anything special to celebrate Halloween. With DrB now in a nursing home, I thought that their celebration would be low key. But after MS checked with PS, he called me on my cell phone saying that we would perhaps go out to a restaurant after the obligatory distribution of candy to the trick-or-treaters. In the middle of the night, LE, their next door neighbor, stopped by saying she and her husband had cooked a ham and wondered if we could join them for a makeshift dinner. MS/PS had some leftover potato casserole and greenbean casserole, I had the leftover Ambrosia, and LE/HE even offered some cranberry wine they had purchased on their recent trip to the Amana colonies.
So, after the trick-or-treating subsided, we all went over for dinner, good company, and good conversations.
BTW, J, the dog who had doggie ACL surgery is doing remarkably well. He is now able to do the things that he has done in the past and LE/HE are quite happy but still cautious about it.
One final note: It appears that AG has had some second thoughts about the job offer with Halliburton with the impending assignment in Iraq. It looks like he will return back to Kansas City and continue with the jobs he had before.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home