From a KC Librarian

Just an average guy trying to make sense of his life in the library and beyond.....

Friday, September 17, 2004

Surprise Thursday Night Phone Call

On Thursday night, I was in the middle of watching "Mystic River" on dvd when around 8:30 the phone rang. It was AN, a good friend from my KU days. She invited me out to drinks in Overland Park. AN is one of those friends where I would be willing drop what I was doing in order to be spend time with. Anyway, I quickly changed out of my shorts and T-shirt, put on a dress shirt and slacks, and made the nearly-40 mile Trek to Overland Park. AN was staying at the Sheraton Hotel attending a conference related to her career.
I met her at the hotel lobby and eventually a small group of us decided to go out dancing at Touche, a quaint little dance bar on Metcalf. The four of us danced until the bar closed and then went to Denny's for breakfast. I made home around 4:00--two hours before I wake up for my usual work day. I managed to get to work on time and I was lucid enough to answer most of the reference questions that were tossed my way.
AN is recently divorced and, like all of us, is addressing her options for her emotional well-being and her options for her two beautiful children. I hope one day we can have a heart-to-heart and talk about life and how we both have handled the situations that arise from it.
I hope I hear from AN soon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home