From a KC Librarian

Just an average guy trying to make sense of his life in the library and beyond.....

Friday, August 06, 2004

Change of Horses

I've learned more about the hiring process at my place of work. But first....

I had to pick a different candidate for the lab associate position when I realized that my first choice could only work evenings because of his full time day job. The position I'm hiring for calls for the ability to work a flexible hours including daytime. So, I went to my second choice: a recent graduate from K-State University. She's a history major who also has newspaper experience with the Leavenworth Times and the K-State Collegian.

I had to do reference checks this past week. It was an interesting experience considering that some former places of employment are not always willing to volunteer information about the candidate I want to hire. For example, I had to fax a signed release by my hired choice to Kansas State University so that they could release the information that merely stated that she worked from x-date to y-date.

I finally had the references checks done yesterday. Next, I sent a memo to my supervisor and branch manager recommending my candidate's hire. The next step will be background checks performed by our HR.

I am hoping she can start some time in August.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home