From a KC Librarian

Just an average guy trying to make sense of his life in the library and beyond.....

Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Random Notes

  1. We took a few more steps toward our reference refit today. We were informed that some workers may be here when we arrive at work on Thursday to begin demolition of the old reference area. I helped Mama Bear clear out some displays and move some bookclub sign-up notebooks to a temporary location. For the next couple of days, our reference desk will be a couple of laptops and a table pulled from the auditorium.
  2. Mus Muris and Princess Anaconda gave a thorough presentation about their conferences they recently attended. Mus offered a summary of a virtual reference conference that was held in Denver at the start of August. Meanwhile, PA delivered a well-thought out presentation on Flickr and Creative Commons which were two topics discussed this year at NEKLS Tech Day in early August. I was unable to attend Tech Day this year because of my vacation/family reunion up to Washington.
  3. A WestWy colleague and I are participating in a grant-funded project that puts a Wii gaming system in each one of our library branches. The colleague (LB) and I discussed potential programs we could hold at the library. She has pretty much developed gaming programs for the young adult crowd. I am contemplating a Wii gaming night for seniors. I have read that a lot of senior folk have taken a liking to Wii, especially with its core programs of golf, bowling, and tennis.
  4. In an effort to curb costs, I am sending out my computer class reminders on post cards instead of business letters. This is a 25 cent difference in postage for each mailing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home