From a KC Librarian

Just an average guy trying to make sense of his life in the library and beyond.....

Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Cutting our teeth with downloadable audio

Our library is one of many participating in a new State-sponsored program where a library user can download audio books and music. Problem is none of our library staff are experts in using it, so how can we pass this knowledge on to patrons? Darth Sater sent out a series of emails Wednesday expressing his frustrations and other thoughts on the software including downloading patches, being able/not able to burn to CD, and transferring the books to portable devices like an MP3 player.

I spent three hours experimenting with the program and, quite frankly, I ran into the same problems. I was particularly frustrated that I could NOT transfer the books to my MP3 player because I got a message that it violated copyright considerations. I am guessing that the folks at OverDrive have a licensing agreement with only a select group of digital players and my player is not on the list.

Anyway, LL says we will soon have a training session with TG so that we can hopefully iron out the problems that Darth and I encountered.

I felt like I wasted three hours tonight. This is a serious training issue if we are going to run the program and help patrons with it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home