From a KC Librarian

Just an average guy trying to make sense of his life in the library and beyond.....

Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Video blogging

I am interested in seeing how many hits "Amanda Congdon" and "Rocketboom" are getting from search engines. Congdon said she was surprised on how much success RB had on the Internet. She addressed her separation from Rocketboom on MSNBC Wednesday night.
I guess the biggest issue I got from watching this interview is that video blogging, or vlogging, is growing by leaps and bounds. Congdon says this is so because Internet users can watch a vlog at their own leisure and respond instantaneously with a comment. It's impossible for cable news programs to offer that kind of interaction.
Meanwhile, Rocketboom 2.0 premiered today with their interim hostess, a former MTV-Europe VJ. I will give this site a couple weeks of viewing before I render a thumbs up or thumbs down to it.
Finally, the marriage of videographer-wannabes to the Internet continues and I feel the majority of what's submitted to the web is poor. I make this comment after visiting sites like youtube.com and Google video. I also make this comment knowing that I have video production training from nearly 20 years ago and knowing that I have colleague from work who excel at writing to video and at using the latest computer video-production technologies.
Knowing this, our library has the potential to offer audio and video podcasts on our web site. I have discussed this in piecemeal fashion with work colleagues. All we need is a sympathetic administrative ear. It took JG and I about six months to get approval for our BookFix blog. I wonder how long it will take for our library to embrace this emerging video blogging and podcasting technology.

1 Comments:

At 5:04 PM, Blogger penguinn said...

"What will they think of next?" as they say. It would be interesting to see just exactly how this would be done. I'm not sure I would want a camera staring at me while I "vlog" - I'd be too concerned about how my hair looked, my "best side," and how monotoned did I sound, etc. I would much rather write drafts, make corrections etc and let the reader read my "perfected" version. But then I'n not as vain as some people. Maybe that's why it is appealing. But then maybe not, who knows!!
Suzanne G.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home