From a KC Librarian

Just an average guy trying to make sense of his life in the library and beyond.....

Wednesday, October 05, 2005

Random Thoughts

TF started in the computer lab yesterday. He's a quick learner and I think he will do well. He's working on his college degree at KU. Once he graduates, it'll be interesting how long the library can keep him.

It's nice to know my supervisor supports decisions I make as they apply to library patrons. We had a patron today lose his flash memory stick. He asked me if we would ask each patron if they had a flash stick in their possession we they ask to use a computer. I thought that was a little bit silly not to mention an invasion of patron privacy. I did tell him however that I would post a sign in the lab for ten days that should any patron find said flash stick to report it to the monitor's desk. LL, my supervisor, agreed with this course of action and went one step further: she called the patron to tell him that my actions were correct. Based on his tone of voice and his insinuations, this patron seemed ready to bend or break all the rules to get his precious flash stick back.

DF, our computer tech guy, has been transferred to the Main library for 12 weeks for some apparent training. The library is not the same without him.

Some of us library staffers will be working Saturday to help Lisa with her Reader's Advisory video project. I will participate to a song and dance number with a song whose tune is from the musical "Hair."

I will be working Sunday so that one of my Lab Associates can celebrate his birthday.

Finally, tonight I took advantage of a sale at JCPenny's and the Jones Store to buy more shirts for work.