From a KC Librarian

Just an average guy trying to make sense of his life in the library and beyond.....

Saturday, December 04, 2004

A Long Drive to Pontiac, IL

It was very shocking to learn of Dad's passing. On Tuesday, November 30, I was giving one on my computer lab associates a break when a call came through to the lab. It was my sister who told me the news. Fortunately, another lab associate was able to cover for me so that I could go to my office and let the news set in. I wept at first and then told Laura, my supervisor. I started my bereavement leave on Wednesday and will take a Thanksgiving holiday leave this coming Monday.
Anyway, Tuesday night I called MS and AN to inform them of the news and I asked my next door neighbor to keep an eye on my house and mail. I began packing my suitcase for the trip to Pontiac. I included my suit, not knowing whether there was going to be any formal service.
I left for Pontiac Wednesday morning at 7 o'clock. The 450-mile drive took seven hours. After checking into a hotel, I rendevouzed with my sister. We went first to my Dad's friends apartment to get some information about Dad's death. Then we went to the funeral parlor to view the body.
Dad had decided not to have a memorial service of any kind in Pontiac. This is unusual according to his lawyer. It has been his experience that most ministers in a small town have a large funeral.
Anyway, Dad documented his wishes concerning the handling of his death. In other words, there wasn't much for my sister and me to do except follow the written instructions. Dad was cremated yesterday afternoon at a crematory near Pontiac. We will scatter his ashes in June in the Rocky Mountains, a place fond to Dad's heart because it was the locale of his first call to ministry.
Thursday, we phoned family members and my sister talked with the doctor to find out how Dad died. It turns out that Dad had a bad heart for a long time and his heart was very close to failure the last few years of his life. It was just a matter of time.
Friday, my Dad's friend, my sister, and I discussed my Dad's estate with the lawyer. After the meeting we stopped by Dad's house one last time before I made the trek back to Kansas City. I arrived at my home at 9:30 at night.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home